The MSPress: Journal
Get submission information and publication details about the MSPress Journal below.
To submit your work to the journal, apply to be a reviewer, or subscribe as a reader, enter the “Register” section of the journal’s website.
Peer Review Process
Each piece of The MSPress Journal undergoes a rigorous editorial procedure. Each submission is personally reviewed by one editor as well as the MSPress Journal Associate Editor. All pieces should be below 3,000 words in length unless specified otherwise. At least two peer reviewers analyze each article, ensuring quality and relevancy. We ensure a blind peer-review. Email correspondence is crucial for the revision and copy edit process. Please allow one month for a decision to be made on submissions.
Interviews- Interviews with faculty, students, or people involved in the medical field are welcome. If interested, contact the MSPress Journal Associate Editor to discuss the mandatory format and content.
Research Articles- Research articles allow students to (1) reflect on their experience with research in medicine (2) report a summary of their original research results. When submitting, please be sure to address both of these realms. Our editors will work with you to abide by this format. Pieces should be 2,000-3,000 words in length, including the bibliography, with tables and figures welcomed. Data must be accumulated from original student work and submitted as raw data to enable proper graphic design manipulation. Please prepare manuscripts under the AMA Manual of Style, 10th edition. Consult The MSPress AMA citation guide for more information.
Essays- Essays ought to be are topical to the pursuit and progress of the field of medicine. Policy, opinion, historical, and analytical pieces within 3,000 words in length are welcome.
Creative Writing- Submissions can range from short stories and reflective pieces to poetry and prose. The strongest submissions in this section will be allowed in the journal, others may be referred to The MSPress Blog.
Visual Arts/Digital Artifacts- This sections includes design-intensive works (visual art pieces, sound pieces, videos, technology design projects). To submit your visual art piece, please upload a .jpeg to the author submission. If your piece includes video or sound, please email these pieces to the MSPress Journal Associate Editor.
Other- For those pieces which do not fall under any other specified categories, please submit under “other” and contact the MSPress Journal Associate Editor.
Submission Preparation Checklist
As part of the submission process, authors are required to check off their submission’s compliance with all of the following items, and submissions may be returned to authors that do not adhere to these guidelines.
- The submission has not been previously published, nor is it before another journal for consideration (or an explanation has been provided in Comments to the Editor). That being said, we publish within a Creative Commons Attribution- Non-Commercial License and, as such, allow authors to republish pieces of their work once published in The MSPress Journal provided they attribute original publication to The MSPress.
- The submission file is in OpenOffice or Microsoft Word.
- The submission is formatted as according to the American Medical Association Manual of Style. Consult the MSPress AMA citation guide for support.
- The text is single-spaced, uses a 12-point font, employs italics, rather than underlining (except with URL addresses); and all illustrations, figures, and tables are placed within the text at the appropriate points, rather than at the end.
- All data sets are included in a raw version, enabling The MSPress graphic design team to create suitable graphs/tables/charts if accepted for publication.
- The file does not include the author’s name, ensuring a blind peer review.
- For research articles, the piece addresses both (1) reflects on the student’s experience with research in medicine (2) reports a summary of the student’s original research results.
Privacy Statement The names and email addresses entered in this journal site will be used exclusively for the stated purposes of this journal and will not be made available for any other purpose or to any other party.